End This Cruel Policy
Over the weekend we've been sharing calls to action in our action group regarding the White House administration's new policy of separating families at the border.
Read Houston Chronicle's May 13th piece on this here: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/local/article/Border-agents-now-removing-children-from-their-12909572.php
This policy is destructive and inhumane. It is also something the president has the power to stop regardless of the narrative being spun. Currently our White House leadership is attempting to disown their responsibility in this cruel immigration policy.
We've included a few ways you can take action this week below - We urge you to contact your representatives in Congress immediately.
- Contact your U.S. Senators and Representatives. Their job is to conduct oversight of DHS–they must hold DHS accountable. Simply say, “I am outraged by how our government is treating children at the border. What is my Senator/Rep doing about this?” Find your Senators here. Find your Representative here. If you use 5 Calls to contact your reps, they have a script on their system for this issue already.
- Amnesty International has been calling for an end to the U.S. policy of separating children at the border. Their call to action can be found at the end of this post here.
- The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights has recommended guidelines for human rights at international borders which you can read here. The reported actions our DHS is taking do not comply with these guidelines. You can contact the UN Office for Human Rights here.
- You can donate to help families at the border here. These donations are shared amongst the ACLU, Kids In Need Of Defense (KIND) and a few others.
- Join the Families Belong Together movement here.